In October, Facebook reported it had one billion users. By now, Facebook is among the most recognized brands across the world. Everyone and their cats (literally) have Facebook accounts. In the United States, you’re just as likely to come across a citizen that doesn’t participate in presidential elections as you are a non-Facebook user!
Now that our friends, siblings, parents, aunts, uncles, and even grandparents are using Facebook, we have to keep our accounts tailored and neatly groomed or things could get messy. For example, are you getting five Facebook game invites a day from your Great Aunt Rose and can’t figure out how to block them? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. That’s why we’ve created a list of Facebook tricks to help you master your profile.
Here are 6 Facebook Tricks, Tips, and Cheats
Block Game Invites
1. On your Facebook home page, you’ll notice this block of notifications in the upper-right corner. Click the “app requests” notification.
2. Scroll to a game invite you want to block, and click the “x” button.
3. Block all invites from a certain game, or ignore every invite from that friend by clicking the respective option.
Hide A Friend’s Updates From Your News Feed
Tired of seeing a fan page or friend clutter your news feed? Ignore their posts without actually “unfriending” them.
1. Hover over the top right area of the post you want to hide until this down arrow appears.
2. Click “Hide…”
3a. For a fan page, click “Hide all stories from (Fanpage)”. You can also choose to unlike the page from here if you wanted.
3b. For a profile page, hover over “Change what updates you get from (Friend)”.
Uncheck any notifications you don’t want to see, or press “unsubscribe” to ignore that friend completely without “unfriending” them.
Tag someone on Facebook using only their first name.
Many people don’t know that you can friends in statuses using only their first name. This also works for comments and pictures as well!
1. Tag your friends as you normally would by inserting the @ symbol followed by their name and clicking on their profile on the dropdown menu as shown.
2. Insert your cursor directly after their last name and begin deleting their last name.
3. Your friends first name will remain highlighted in gray as shown, meaning it will properly tag them in your status.
Titling your Facebook Post
You can change the title tag and descriptions of any post you share on Facebook to suit your needs (Especially useful for SEO purposes). This will ensure you’re getting the right message off to your friends.
1. After you pop the link into your status box, you can hover over the title of the post. (Highlighted in yellow)
2. Click on the title and it turns into an editable box.
3. Enter your desired text and press enter.
4. Customize the description using the same steps.
Proper Facebook Sharing Optimization
Facebook only indexes the first 18 characters of your post when you share it. Make sure those first few words are optimized for full SEO value.
For example, Facebook would associate this share with “Brand new blog pos”, which isn’t fully optimized.
Facebook would associate the same share with the optimized phrase “Social Media Icons” which is much more valuable.
Hiding Your ‘Online’ Status For Chatting
Not the chatty type? You can appear offline to your friends by using the following steps.
Note: Even if your chat is turned off, your friends can still personal message you.
1. Hover over the settings icon at the bottom right of your Facebook home screen. Click “Turn off Chat” to always appear offline.
2. You can appear offline for only certain friends by clicking the “Advanced Settings” button and adding exceptions to your lists. Click save after adding names to either list.
Are there any other Facebook tricks you would like to know? Let us know in the comments section below!
Have a Merry Christmas!